Today, we will look into making a rock solid offer that your viewers and potential followers/subscribers will be excited about. We will also look at a crucial fail point that many streamers make when they go in and ask for the follow.
“People only care about what they can get from you”
Today, we will look at 3 specific things you can do to make the offer of even just a free follow irrefutable.
“Did you know that when you follow the page, it will let you know when I go live, so you never miss a broadcast?”
Customize – Allow them to tailor their experience and have custom features that are exclusive to membership. (If you sign up for a forum, you can customize your profile and options of how you view the site)
Quicker – How can you allow them to get it faster? (If you sign up for a musical artist’s mailing list, you get first shot at concert tickets!)
Exclusive – What is something that only people who join the club can get? (Restaurants offer coupons to members only)
The truth is that very few people will sign up without an offer, even if they like you. Even if your offer is something solid like free miles with an airplane credit card, it is a very tough sell.
Here is an offer from “ThatSportsGamer” to join his Patreon and support him. However, he makes a crucial mistake.
He doesn’t explain exactly what the person paying the money gets for supporting him. Yes, ThatSportsGamer gets the chance to create “more and better” content, but he doesn’t explain why it is good for the viewer. He hasn’t created a strong enough offer for people beyond his main fan base. A more powerful offer would be:
If you enjoy my current free content on ThatSportsGamer, supporting my Patreon will get you the following. Here is exactly what you get:
1. Every Wednesday, you know those awesome shows that you can’t wait to download and listen to in your car? You now get to download them on Monday! (Quicker)
2. Those podcasts will also now come with a bonus 15 minute segment where I bring in a game developer to update us on their current game project, last week we had on MLB The Show Creative Director! (Exclusive)
Each week, I will also select 3 subscriber questions to answers live on the show. If you have every wanted to have your topic broken down live on the show by the best sports gaming podcast, support the show today! (Exclusive)
Those are a few examples of options that can make an offer more enticing to viewers. The kickstartesr mindset has allowed fans to love and support people who create things, but they still always have their own motivations first. You do get a copy of the complete game or a bumper sticker right?
League Of Legends is a free to play game that requires NO money to play! However, they rake in millions every year, and their fans are happy to support Riot Games! They do this by creating a good offer to their players who are more than happy to pay. Here is how they use the same model that T.J. can in his offer.
1. Exclusive – Sure, you can play a character, but don’t you want that fancy new “skin” to change the way they look and prove that you are a serious player?
2. Quicker – You can unlock all the Champions with free to earn IP or wait until they come up on free rotation, however if you pay a few dollars now, you can use anyone you want. Why Wait?
3. Customize – While they keep Rune Pages tied to the free IP for competitive reasons, you can still pay to IP Boost to get more slots/pages and customize your game further.
The fact that LOL is free to play makes it even easier to spend money. If you get 50 hours of value out of something totally free and then someone offers you a great deal, you feel like you owe them something. “I’ve been playing this game or watching this stream for months, I should support them, AND I get something, no brainer”
The attitude online about paying for things just doesn’t echo the sentiment that I’ve seen and experienced in real life. There are people that will pay thousands of dollars an hour to cut the line at Disney World, or to fly first class. This isn’t for everyone, but that doesn’t make it dumb, everyone has different things they value. The key is to find out what your community likes and present them with an offer they can’t refuse!
The truth is though, if you present people with a fair offer and they already like you, they will be more than happy to pay.